Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Mike in and around Denali Park waiting for Louisa to join!

Well I'm camping in Denali National Park at the Riley Campground near the entrance to the park. The past two days I've driven the 15 miles to the end of where they normally allow vehicles except for Park Buses and vehicles with a pass like the one we'll have on the 7th to drive to the farthest drive in Campground.

Yesterday I saw a moose on the road ahead of me- first clues were two stopped cars who were watching it- then I saw the massive rack and big body. He moved off into the brush on the right hand side of the road- I tried to snap pics- one is far away and the other is too mush bush I think....

When I got to the end of the road sadly the mountain was not visible- too many clouds. I took some pics and drove back through the stunning vistas and countryside. The Fall colors are coming out in golds and some reds, beautiful!

I visited the Sled dog kennels and saw some dogs and some puppies sleeping and chatted with the Rangers, they are very down-to-Earth and appreciate their responsibility as well as the Joy there is in this amazing place.

After the kennels I went to the main visitor center and saw the exhibits, watched a movie and bought a detailed Topo map of an area I think Louisa might like to hike. It is the Eileson Visitor Area about a 3 hour buss ride past the cutoff point in the Park. That will be 2 hours for us since we will be starting an hour in and should give us plenty of time to do both of the popular day hikes they have.

My first night in the area was Sunday before the Holiday and Denali Campgrounds were full so they directed me to a private campground about 7 miles away that was great- 12 bucks a night, isolated with a view and free hot showers! Bingo!!

Now I am getting very comfortable in old TAO 7- we are good companions heading down the road and camping. I'm starting to make some fancy meals- tow nights ago I made a Rib Eye pot roast with Yukon Gold potatoes, carrots and onion and last night I made a Quiche from scratch using a box mix crust that I did out side on the picnic table to prevent messing the van up inside!

Here are some pics:
























No comments:

Post a Comment